Observing from beyond the solar system, a cultural outsider looks in.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Free Sample Menu from Emma's Pennsylvania Kitchen

As any author eventually learns when publishing books independently, eventually you have to learn some marketing. I choose to look at that as an exciting opportunity, and I want to share what I'm learning with my fellow authors via this blog.

One good source of marketing tips is the Smashwords page on facebook.

The other day, they posted a link to this article by Michael Stelzner, which lists 9 ways to use social media to market a book. They all sound potentially useful, but I decided to start with one: creating a sample of my book in PDF form, and embedding a retweet button within it, so that people who like the sample can easily tweet about it. To learn how to do that, I followed the instructions in this other article. The only instruction there I didn't follow was to get Adobe Acrobat Pro, because actually, I found I didn't need it. I was able to embed the prepared tweet URL in a Word document, then save that as a PDF.

Here's the finished free sample chapter. Pretty cool!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home