Observing from beyond the solar system, a cultural outsider looks in.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Senator Auction Canceled - CHAP Hearing Rescheduled

Here's the latest I'm hearing on the situation with The Senator. The auction is canceled. That's because Baltimore City is going to buy the place and/or possibly hold their own auction.

Contrary to the popular reaction that I've heard, the city buying The Senator is not good news, in my opinion. The city has a lousy track record with historic preservation, and often lets property they own sit vacant for a long time. However, the auction being canceled is good news, because it possibly gives us a few more weeks to hang out, eat too much popcorn, and celebrate The Senator's wonderful history and exquisite presence.

I know the folks at The Senator are working on schedules of events for upcoming weeks, so please keep checking www.senator.com regularly for updates. Currently and through Thursday, they're playing Charade with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. It's wonderful thriller with a great, funny script. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also, the memorabilia sale is still going on, so please stop in and see what's out there. The latest big item they brought out is Han Solo encased in carbonite! Very cool reproduction of the original movie prop. I've got to take my camera and get a photo today. There are now more of the red plastic marquee letters, and a lot more movie posters came out over the last few days.

The other piece of news is that the city's CHAP hearing on The Senator is rescheduled for May 12th. I know because I was in the theatre yesterday when the guy came to post the new notice. Mr. X still hard at work, I see.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home